Friday, June 22, 2012

Panhandling

So do you give money to panhandlers?  Not even sure if that's the correct term, but I mean the people who stand on corners with signs usually saying something like "homeless vet...any amount will help...God bless."  I have given money at times, but I usually don't.  When I don't, I feel a little guilty like "here I am in my nice air conditioned car going somewhere usually involving spending money on something and all you have are the dirty clothes you are wearing and that sign made of cardboard."  I analyze this over and over.  Where will they sleep?  How are they so overweight if they don't have enough money for food and they walk everywhere?  Do they have children?  If I am lucky, the light turns green and I'm able to go and move on with my life without having to think much more than that.  I've been contemplating panhandling in general a lot since yesterday.  I swear I saw panhandlers on every exit of 540 I was on or passed by.  Most were the typical man or woman with the cardboard sign, but at one exit there was a different scene.  There was a young man and young woman (I would say mid twenties) standing with an older lady who was in a wheel chair.  The young woman appeared to be speaking in sign language to the older woman.  While the cardboard sign holders didn't appear to be getting much in the way of funding, this trio was raking it in.  I saw 3 different people give them money during the one red light.  I like to think I'm a glass half-full kind of girl, but I was a little skeptical of the trio and wondered if that was actually even real sign language she was speaking.  I try to give to those less fortunate when I can, but I think from now on I will not give to panhandlers.  I think resources are better utilized if they are channeled through agencies or at least organizations with standards.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I think panhandling should be not legal.  There should be ordinances in place to dissuade panhandling on public property possibly.    Maybe I would feel differently if I had ever been in the situation of these people.  You never know until you've walked in someone else's shoes they say.  However, I think it would take more self-confidence than I have to stand on a roadway and ask strangers for money.  I think I would try the Salvation Army or some other organization like that.  I don't think you'll ever see me on exit 85 with a cardboard sign.  Hopefully I won't see you there either.

No comments:

Post a Comment