Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I haven't written on this blog in awhile.  Blame it on my life I guess, but it gets pretty crazy keeping up with work, the family, the poodles, the housework, etc.  I just have some random, meandering thoughts to share.


  • Why can't I write "Xmas" instead of Christmas?  I know I have just lost some readers who are totally offended and will proclaim me as a blasphemer and may never speak to me again for the "Xmas" thing.   I hate that, but, just for something to think about, I want to share one thing I remember learning in my expensive tenure at a learning institution known as John Brown University.  If I remember correctly, I was receiving what is known as a "Christian Liberal Arts" education.  Anyway, if I gained nothing else from the  18 hours of Bible classes I took, I did glean the fact the the letter "x" is the symbol for Christ in the Greek language - the language in which the New Testament was originally written.  I can't speak for everyone who uses the Xmas word, but for me it's just a shorter way to say it in a text or informal writing.  I wouldn't use it on an actual Xmas card or in a group email, but I will continue to write or say "Xmas."  I hope you will not be too offended. It's not intended to b
  • Why do people ask me to repost stuff on Facebook?  Have you ever seen one of those facebook posts that says something like "share if you love (Jesus, your mother, your child, your grandmother)?"  It will go on to say that if you don't  "share" or "like" the post you will go to Hell or some significant person in your life will die simply because you don't care enough to "like" or "share."  I have recently learned that posts of this type are designed as scams to generate and validate  facebook users' information or gain other information about the person liking or sharing.  I almost never like or share a facebook post I don't know the owner of, but it seems to be a trend among some facebook users to like and share almost everything they see.
  • Vacuum envy.  For Xmas, I got a Dyson vacuum cleaner.  Don't be jealous, we are very practical people around here.  I have wanted one for several years, but they are so expensive I wasn't willing to pay the price.  Well friends, I have to tell you, the Dyson is a superior product and well worth the money you spend.  I guess we shall see how long it lasts to determine its worth in the long run, but normally it just takes me about a year to tear up a vacuum cleaner so if it lasts 2 years, it will be money well spent.  How sad am I that I am sitting around on a Friday night writing about how much I love my vacuum cleaner?  Does it make me even sadder that there is just about nothing else I'd rather be doing?
  • A ban on firearms? Without getting too far into my personal beliefs or yours on the right to own a weapon that shoots, if they repeal the second amendment or issue a ban on firearms, how will they get the crazy, antisocial, psychotic,  sociopath, or just plain weird people to give their weapons up?  My guess is it would just keep the honest people honest like locks on doors.  I personally don't believe a ban on firearms would keep the crazies from going around shooting innocent people in schools, malls, or wherever.  They would keep their weapons while honest, law abiding citizens lined up to turn theirs in out of fear of punishment.  I do think if the media stopped reporting so sagaciously and tenaciously on these tragedies, it might be a deterrent from future crazies shooting people.  I watch/read the news and like to stay informed, but it seems whatever they are reporting on stays in our minds.  When you think about the fact the people generally tend to make decisions based on the payoff for themselves (fear of loss/hope for gain) you have to consider that pretty much a shooter's only payoff is the notoriety he/she receives from reports on the incident even if they are dead themselves when they receive the notoriety.


No comments:

Post a Comment