Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Godspeed, O Tiny Meteorologists!

Since I last blogged I have continued my New Year's resolution to drink more wine.  It is working out pretty well.  I have discovered several things.  I am not a fan of "good" red wine.  The only red wine I like is red moscato and some sweet red wine made by "Mad Housewife."  I have discovered my favorite wines are of the riesling grape varieties.  I have been drinking wine probably 3  nights of the week since the beginning of 2013 depending on the children's activities for the week.  I never drink any wine if I have to drive anywhere.  I am never quite sure how it will affect me from one day to the next (I guess it depends on my calorie intake for the day because I don't routinely eat in the evening) but sometimes I would probably be ok for most activities after one glass of wine, but I would never assume I'd be ok to drive.  I take driving very seriously not only  for myself and my passengers but also for others on the road.  I don't believe you should ever drive after drinking any alcohol.  I never text and drive either! The most I ever drink is 2 glasses in a night.  I was concerned for a few days that maybe I was becoming an alcoholic, but I looked up the criteria and I fit none of it.  I guess I like the wine thing because it's a hobby I don't have to share with the children (they know about my wine because I think it's wrong to hide things like that) but it's mine.  It belongs to me and that makes me happy to have something of my own besides dirty laundry and floor cleaning!  Plus I'm pretty sure a glass of wine counts as a serving of fruit, doesn't it?

Another thing that's happened since my last blog is that I've gained 5 pounds.  Dang!  Never wanted that to happen.  One might blame it on the additional calories from the wine intake, but I really think it's from my crappy eating habits.  I need to work on that.  Actually, I have been working on working out with some of my work friends after work as often as we can.  Haven't really noticed any difference but it makes me feel better to be doing it.

Also, since my last blog, my "O" key has fallen off my  crappy laptop where I write blogs!  That's just horrible!  You never know how much you actually use the letter "O" until it's gone.  Every "O"  I type now has to be this super exaggerated movement of the right ring finger rather than the seamless flow of thoughts  onto the keyboard like it used to be.  I sure do miss my "O."

What I really wanted to talk about today though is hummingbirds!  I love them so much and I think you should too.  The only way to get to know them is to start feeding them.  They have not migrated here yet for the spring, but they will soon.  When they do (usually by April 15 - although I have seen them as early as March 21) you will know for sure it is spring and winter is behind us.  They are far more reliable than meteorologists.  They will not arrive until it is safe for them to do so.  They come back to the same place every year, so once you have gotten some established at your homestead, you will have some friends for life from them and their descendants.

There are so many interesting things about hummingbirds.  We only have one variety here in Northwest Arkansas - the ruby throat.  The males have a ruby colored throat and females look just like the males except not as pretty - they don't have ruby colored throats.  Actually it's true of all birds that the males are more colorful and prettier than the females.  For example, all of the "red bird - Cardinals" are male.  The females have the same shape, but only a little red on their bodies.

My grandmother taught me about feeding hummingbirds.  Here are some things she taught me that I would like to share with you:
*You should make your own food - "nectar."  It's cheaper than store bought and the birds like it better.
*To make your own hummingbird nectar, just boil some water on the stove, turn it off and then add sugar (real sugar) and stir until the sugar is mixed in.  At the beginning of the season, you will attract more birds if you make the mixture about 4 parts sugar to 1 part water.  As the season goes along, you can reduce the sugar.  Once they've gotten accustomed to feeding at your feeder, they will continue to feed there.
*While hummingbirds are territorial in a sense (you will often see them fighting at the feeders) they will all drink from the same feeder.  I have counted as many as 26 at one of my feeders at a time.  This will happen often in the evenings before sunset as they prepare to rest for the night.
*You should have several feeders spread about to give them ample opportunities to eat.
*Fill your feeders as they empty them.  It is actually a commitment on your part and it is quite cruel if you are not going to be consistent in your feedings.
*Hummingbirds are not attracted to the color red, but wasps are!  This is a little humorous because most feeders have red on them and the nectar you buy is usually red.   To keep wasps off your feeders, simply get a paper towel with some vegetable oil on it and rub the oil on the feeding spots.  Wasps will stay away, but it has no effect on the birds.  Don't ever spray insecticides near hummingbird feeders!  If ants are a problem, you can also grease the pole or whatever the feeder is hanging on with vegetable oil.

These are my grandmother's basic tips on attracting and feeding hummingbirds.  These tiny birds really are worth your time and energy.  You might thank me for these tips on some hot summer night when you are watching the birds fill up for the night while drinking your wine and contemplating the problems in your life such as your missing "O" key or your diet and fitness routine.  Try  them and you'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment